Mental health awareness
This course explores the concept of mental health and it's implications on everyday wellbeing. It is set at a generic foundation/introductory level and would be accesible for various participants within different settings (e.g. support worker, project workers, team leaders)
The course structure is as follows:
- Mythbusters: What are the myths surrounding mental illness?
- What is good mental health?
- What is mental ill health?
- Who dignoses mental illness?
- What are the statistics?
- What are the difficulties in spotting mental illness?
- What are the pitfalls in mental health assessment?
- What causes mental illness?
- The medical model
- The biopsychosocial model
- How does mental illness affect the brain?
- Anxiety disorders
- Pyschotic disorders
- Other conditions - Personality disorders, Eating disorders
- The seven stage approach to monitoring mental health
- Assessing mental health through the use of rating scales
- How is mental health treated?
- Biological interventions
- Psychological interventions
- Social interventions
- Proactive strategies to increase mental and emotional health.
A more in-depth training course for experienced staff is available on request